Your child will be challenged to develop a wide range of skills and stamina in order to achieve this award, with a focus on good stroke style.
The Swim England Swimming Challenge Awards are for young people working towards Stages 8-10 of the Swim England Learn to Swim Framework, with Bronze, Silver and Gold Awards available.
Swimming Challenge Awards – Gold
This group of skills tests the pupil’s ability:
- To plunge dive into water of at least full reach depth and swim 100 metres in two minutes, 30 seconds or less, using two different strokes, 50 metres of each.
- To tread water for three minutes with one hand remaining above the head throughout. The arm raised may be changed no more than five times.
- To scull head-first on the back for 10 metres, move into a tucked position and turn through 360° keeping the head above water. Return to the starting point by sculling feet first with the feet at or near the surface throughout and the hands close to the hips.
- To swim 10 metres, perform a forward somersault without touching the pool bottom and continue to swim in the same direction for a further 10 metres.
- To swim 800 metres using three of the following strokes: front crawl, backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, English backstroke or sidestroke for a minimum distance of 200 metres per stroke. A change of stroke may only occur every 100 metres. This swim to be completed in 25 minutes.
- To climb out at the deep end without assistance.